Perfection; My Passion

Perfection; My Passion

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Negative Capability


When I first heard the term Negative Capability, I was confused. After going over the term in both of my English classes, I am starting to understand the meaning. Keats defined it as "When a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason." I interpreted that as the capability of the artist to take his or her personality out of the text. Keats believed that Byron and Wordsworth were to personal, egotistical, and an autobiographical because it heightens subjectivity and the view of things in poetry. The perspective of the piece is ruined. I sort of agree with Keats but autobiographical works are not a useless piece of information. I believe autobiographical information is very useful. Not all pieces of writing have to be autobiographical but sometimes its necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment