Perfection; My Passion

Perfection; My Passion

Monday, March 29, 2010

Lines composed a few miles above Tintern Abbey



My first reaction to this poem was HOLY CRAP THIS IS LONG!! And I know as an English major that shouldn't be my first reaction but, it was.. so I dealt with the length and started to read through. Half way through this poem I was so confused!! Was I the only one? I think I read this about 4 times total and still after the 3rd was completely confused so I decided to "Google it", which probably wasn't the best idea (SORRY MULMAN :) !! ) I came across the SparkNotes for this particular poem. After reading the SparkNotes it became a little more clear to me. The speaker had not been back to that spot for five years. I guess five years is a long time and that gives you a chance to miss your favorite place. The speaker then goes on to explain everything he is seeing. After reading all of the SparkNotes, I realized that this poem is about longing to be somewhere else in the world/ longing to fit into a place in this world. I can really relate to this poem. If I could be anywhere in the world right now I would be with my fiance in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Although I have not been there in almost two months and not two years I can still relate to the speaker. The beautiful mountain air is so crisp and perfect. The houses that are set in the mountains look like they're painted into the scenery and not actually built there. Everything about my Colorado and the speakers favorite place are sort of the same. The peace and quiet, everything I read I took to heart. The feeling of being stuck in one place and not belonging here anymore really hit home; so did the wanting to be where you really fit in. Overall I believe this was a great poem.


* I posted a picture I took on my last visit in Feb of the mountains in Colorado just to show everyone how peaceful and beautiful they are *
* And I posted a picture of Tintern Abbey just because I felt like it :) *

No comments:

Post a Comment